Tuesday, February 7, 2012

February 8, 2012

So sorry that this is late in coming up.  I need to get prepared earlier in the future so that everyone knows what is coming up.

The meals that I am making are always inspired by a food that I find at the Farmer's Market that looks delicious.  This week, it is collard greens.  They are in season, look so beautifully green, and are super nutritious.  I decided to make this week's meal, vegetarian instead of cooking the greens in ham shank which is what I often do.  I wanted to make something that the kids could eat over brown rice since that seems to be a crowd-pleaser.  I am making some carrot sticks for those who might refuse to try some delicious collards.  The carrots come from our favorite farm at the Farmer's Market, Gathering Together.  They are our CSA provider so we try to buy from them outside of the CSA season too.  I recommend them.  Their farm was really flooded a few weeks ago so now they mainly have root vegetables. The collards came from another farm as did the local kiwis which were being sold 10 for $1!!!

Menu this week:
Collard greens over brown rice
Buttercup squash with apples
Carrot sticks
Kiwi 

Collard Greens

  • 2-3 tbs olive oil
  • small onion, chopped
  • one small red sweet pepper, chopped
  • one small yellow sweet pepper, chopped
  • 3-4 cups vegetable broth
  • a bunch of collard greens
  • 1/4 cup coconut amino acids
  • 1/4 tsp smoked paprika

Clean the collards.  Cut the stem out of each leaf, stack them up, and cut them into 1/2 strips.  Set aside.  Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven on medium heat.  Add onions and cook until clear.  Add the peppers and cook until soft.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes or until the collards are soft. 
Serve over rice. Or eat on it's own as a side dish!

Buttercup Squash with Apples
We also grabbed this squash at the market and I thought that the kids would like it with some cinnamon and maple syrup. They are really similar to sweet potatoes and are full of Vitamin C.
  • one buttercup squash, cut in half
  • 2 tbs butter
  • one apple, chopped
  • tbs lemon juice
  • cinnamon
  • 2 tbs maple syrup

Toss the chopped apple in lemon juice and throw them into the squash.  Put a tbsp of butter on each half.  Sprinkle with cinnamon.  Pour maple syrup onto each half.  Bake at 400 for about 40 minutes or tender enough to pierce with a fork.

Kiwi.  I was so excited about this find.  Perfect to share with the kids!








1 comment: