Wednesday, April 11, 2012

April 11, 2012

So, today I thought that I would like to try out some chickpeas on the kids.  They are super healthy and have a texture that kids seem to like.  I certainly would like to encourage everyone to eat more meat free meals and beans are great way to get the protein that little bodies need.  Additionally, as a side I took the kids some raw cabbage.   I want them to taste it and get used to it on their plates as I intend to incorporate it into future meals.  Fallon eats bowls of shredded cabbage for snacks and loves it.  Weird, I know but cabbage does have a flavor, it is mild and crunchy.

Menu:
Pasta with spinach, dill, and chickpeas
Raw shredded cabbage
Apples

Pasta with spinach, dill, and chickpeas
It's spring and although many veggies are just not ready yet, there is plenty of spinach, leeks, and fresh herbs.  I saw a beautiful bunch of dill so decided to incorporate it into the children's meal for today.   I used pagoda quinoa pasta; however, any whole grain pasta will work.  I think that the small shapes are best for this type of pasta dish and the kids tend to like them as well.  These pagodas are especially fun because they are tri-colored.

-One box of pasta, cooked per the instructions (al dente) on the box and drained
-3 TBSP Olive oil
-two leeks, white parts only chopped
-two cans of chickpeas (I ALWAYS buy Eden organics if I don't pre-soak dried beans because they come in BPA free cans...soaking overnight is preferred but it does require that the beans also be cooked for about 10-20 minutes before being incorporated into the recipe)
-salt and pepper
-spinach: cleaned, stems removed, and chopped into small strips...no need to dry it, allow it to be a little wet
-1/2 c fresh dill, chopped
-one lemon

Chop the leeks, prep the spinach, and dill.  Heat olive oil in a saute pan on medium low heat.  Add the leeks.  Saute for a few minutes until soft, moving them around the pan often to ensure that they don't burn or get too browned.  Add the chickpeas and warm through.  After about 2-3 minutes, add the spinach and dill.  Add a dash of salt and pepper.  Once the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes, add the drained pasta. Heat through. Add the juice of one large lemon. I usually add one more pinch of salt at the end.

This can be eaten warm or cold.  I prefer it warm.  It is also yummy without any pasta at all;  however, I figured that the kids would prefer those pretty pasta pieces mixed in.



1 comment:

  1. So, the kids would prefer sauce on this. I think that sauce would be fine on this dish but in that case, omit the lemon juice.

    I also think that a lemony sauce might be do-able for the kids. Something like a 1/2 c of yogurt, a little veggie broth, and the juice of one lemon mixed together and added into the dish at the end.

    ReplyDelete