Tuesday, April 3, 2012

And we're back! April 4, 2012

So, here we are back at school again after a long break.  I hope that all the families had a great time. 

Menu:
Greek inspired green beans, potato, and tomato dish (Fassolakia Lathera)
Carrot sticks
Celery sticks
Apples and pears

There is a restaurant in NW where my in-laws often eat that serves this dish.  I really like it and decided that I wanted to try it out on the kids.  I looked at a bunch of recipes and this is what I did.

-large onion, diced
-2 to 3 garlic cloves
-4 cups of diced tomatoes (I used a combination of fresh and one box of Pomi diced tomatoes)
 -1 cup Vegetable broth
-handful of fresh parsley, chopped
-salt
-pepper
-4 large red potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces (I left most of the skin on the potatoes)
-one pound of green beans, ends trimmed and chopped into desired size
-Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
-Optional: Feta cheese crumbed on top

Saute onion and garlic in large pan or dutch oven.  When soft, add tomatoes, parsley, salt, and pepper.  Add vegetable broth.  Cook for a few minutes on medium high.  Add potatoes and mix.  Layer the green beans on top of the potatoes but do not mix them in as they will steam and stay crisper this way.  Add the other handful of parsley on the top.  Cook for about 30 minutes on medium low.  Mix together.  Add crumbled feta cheese on top.

*This is what I did not do but will do next time.

**When I made this to try out.  I also cooked some ground beef in a saute pan.  I removed the ground beef and drained.  In the saute pan, I then added a diced onion and some minced garlic cloves.  Once soft, I added half a cup of diced tomatoes, 2 tbsp of tomato paste half a cup of veggie broth, 1 tsp of oregano, a pinch of salt, pepper, and a quarter cup of milk.  Once warmed, I added the meat back in. 

This combo is great for pasta.  I actually added it to the above recipe and it was awesome!  I did not know if the kids would like the meat or not so I thought that I would start them on the bland side since kids seam to like blander foods. 




No comments:

Post a Comment