Menu:
Broccoli/ Cauliflower Rice Casserole
Carrot Sticks
Pears and Apples
*I just wanted to note that when I use cheese, it always comes from a brick (I generally use Tillamook) and then shred it myself. Often, pre-shredded cheese has added ingredients to keep it from sticking together in clumps. These added ingredients are often chemicals or even a wood derivative.
*I also will not ever use any pre-made soups or cream bases. I find that these things (ex. cream of mushroom soup) are often easy to make, much healthier when homemade, and certainly much tastier. And it doesn't take that much more time to make them.
Broccoli & Cauliflower Rice Casserole
-half a head of cauliflower, cut into small pieces *
-one head of broccoli, cut into small pieces *
-2 tbs butter
-one onion, diced
-three celery stalks, diced
-1 tbs GF all purpose flour
-1/4 c ground flax seed
-1 1/4 c 2% milk
-3 tbs half&half (I normally would use cream but didn't have it)
-2 c cheddar cheese (any cheese would do but Fallon really likes Cheddar)
-3 to 4 c cooked brown rice
-2 to 3 c chopped spinach
-salt & pepper to taste
Steam the broccoli and cauliflower for a few minutes until tender. The broccoli should be bright green. I like the vegetables to remain a little crunchy. I also leave the vegetables in semi large pieces; however, it would work with tiny pieces as well which are easier to hide in the food. I generally keep the veggies larger because I want the kids to know what they are eating. Set the veggies aside.
In a pan, melt butter on medium. Saute onions and celery for a few minutes until tender. Turn the heat down to medium low. Add the flour and combine. Then add milk and cream. Slowly stir in the cheese. Do not allow the mixture to boil and stir slowly to completely melt the cheese. Add in the veggies, the rice, and the spinach. Mix together well. Put the mixture into a greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

No comments:
Post a Comment