Tuesday, March 13, 2012

March 14, 2012

Menu:
Swiss chard and red pepper quiche with sliced potato crust
Carrot sticks, Radish half moons, and Broccoli Trees
Pears


Swiss chard and red pepper quiche with sliced potato crust
-two TBSP Olive oil
-one red onion, finely chopped
-1/4 red pepper, finely chopped
-a few fresh basil leaves, minced
-one bunch swiss chard, stems removed and chopped
-1/2 cup of milk
-6 eggs
-salt
-about 1/2 c to 1 c shredded cheese (I used a mix of Monterey and Cheddar)
-1 TBSP butter
-Four red potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick with a mandoline

Heat olive oil in a pan.  Add onion and saute until soft.  Add pepper, continue sauteeing for a few minutes.  Add basil and swiss chard.  Continue sauteeing on low heat covered until the chard is soft.   In a seperate bowl, whisk the eggs.  Add the milk to the eggs.  Combine the egg mixture and the swiss chard mixture.  Add salt. 
Grease a pie plate with butter.  Line the pie plate with the sliced potaoes.  I overlapped the potatoes a little bit.
Put the eggs/chard mixture into the pie plate.  Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese.  Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes until the eggs set.

This is a recipe that is really easy to change around depending on what you have in the fridge.  Last time I made it, I used a yellow onion, leeks, mushrooms and swiss chard.  I topped it with Monterey Jack.  This picture makes it look a little burnt but it isn't.  It's just browned on all sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment